Friday 21 December 2012

Review of 'Tofurky' Meatless Kielbasa Sausage

Tofurky -- Kielbasa (vegan)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: this sausage has a texture more similar to a hotdog than a sausage. The other flavours I've tried (Beer, Italian) were meatier and with textures more typical of sausages (just more complex, in my opinion). I detected a slight hint of smokiness and at first bite, the sausage is pretty tasty -- it's nicely salted and has a nice blend of spices. However, there was a really clear aftertaste that I didn't care for at all. And it actually lasts quite some time...like I could taste it in my mouth hours later. So...I definitely wouldn't buy this one again.

Where to buy: Fortinos, Freshco


Image source: Vegan Muffin

Ingredients: organic tofu (water, organic soybeans, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride), wheat protein product, expeller pressed canola or high-oleic safflower oil, soy sauce (water, soybeans, wheat salt), textured wheat protein, onion, garlic, spices, granulated garlic, salt, vitamins and minerals (dipotassium phosphate, niacin, iron, zinc oxide, vitamin B12, calcium, pantothenate, vitamin B6, riboflavin). 

Nutrition Facts 
Serving size: 1 sausage
Calories: 240
Fat: 16g
     Saturated: 1g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 660mg
Potassium: 520mg
Carbohydrate: 12g
     Fiber: 8g
     Sugars: 2g
Protein: 26g
Calcium: 4%
Iron: 45%

Bless Tofurky's commitment to non-GMO because where else would I get 'ready in 5 minutes' meals that are yummy and vegan?

Still, I won't say that it's perfect by any measure. My main issue is the sodium content because it's clearly winning in every other count (e.g. protein, fiber, iron). I can only have 1 Tofurky product per day, otherwise I'll soon reach the upper limit of my sodium meter.

Other Sausage flavours:
Brand (quoted from tofurky.com):
  • Non-GMO
  • "We make our vegetarian products in small batches using only the finest organic and natural ingredients."
  • No preservatives, MSG or other artificial ingredients.
  • Kosher, vegan, and made with organic soybeans and/or organic tofu.
  • Family owned and operated company.
  • "Since our founding in 1980 Turtle Island Foods has strived to create delicious, nutritious, vegan soy meat alternatives that are lightly processed using traditional methods."

No comments:

Post a Comment