Monday 10 December 2012

Review of 'Nature's Path' Whole O's

Nature's Path -- Whole O's (vegan, GF)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Summary: these whole o's are super light in texture and flavour, thanks to the gluten-free blend of flours. It's airy and crunchy even with the moistness of added milk. I really loved the texture. The taste -- it has a very faint sweetness due to the juices (cane and pomegranate), but not strong enough of a flavour to satisfy my tastebuds. After sitting for a few minutes in milk, it gets a nice tender outer layer, which is my favourite part. Although I enjoy the cereal while eating it in the moment...I'm always left a bit unsatisfied after. Maybe it's because it is so very light. I wouldn't buy this again. The flavour just didn't hit the spot. I could add a sweeter, more flavourful milk, however the nutritional profile isn't so great that I would do so.

Where to buy: Bulk Barn, Longos, Fortinos



Ingredients: Organic brown rice flour, organic corn flour, organic evaporated cane juice, organic pomegranate juice concentrate, sea salt.

Produced in a facility that uses peanuts, tree nuts or soy.

Nutritional Facts
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Calories: 120
     Calories from fat: 10
Fat: 1.5g
     Saturated fat: 0g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 115mg
Potassium: 90mg
Total Carbohydrate: 25g
     Dietary Fiber: 3g
     Sugars: 4g
Protein: 2g
Iron: 4%

Relief! ...that I can rest assured that I don't need to go researching the GMO status of the 'organic corn flour' when I'm dealing with Nature's Path. This is a very clean cereal with a clean nutritional profile. It's very low-calorie and low in fat (zero saturated fat). The sodium content is low, which is both rare and awesome. The only bummer is that isn't not great on protein...only 2g? What am I supposed to do with that?

I think this cereal was probably made with children in mind...to replace Cheerios, perhaps. I demand my adult cereals, packed with fiber and protein! If you are buying this for your little dudes, you'll definitely want to use add-ins (e.g. honey/syrup drizzle, bananas or any very sweet fruit) because it's not very sweet at all.

Other gluten-free cold cereals (all vegan):
Brand (quoted from the Nature's Path website):
  • Family-owned and operated
  •  Certified non-GMO and organic; non-GMO Project verified
  • Fairtrade certified
  • "We source all our ingredients as locally as possible to our production plants."
  • "...over 78% of the weight of ingredients we purchase comes from organic farmers in North America."
  • "Some of the ingredients we have committed to purchasing are Fairtrade Certified cocoa, sugar cane, molasses, and spices." 
  • Gardens for Good Project

No comments:

Post a Comment